The Cathedral Area Community Association is supporting a campaign to convince the City of Regina to remove all City-owned lead service connections within five years. We reached out to other impacted inner city neighbourhoods and created the Get The Lead Our committee.
- Our neighbourhood has some of the highest levels of drinking water lead contamination found in Canada and the U.S.
- The Cathedral Area also has the highest concentration of City-owned lead service connections.
- Regina has the slowest lead line removal program in Western Canada, with a timeline of 15 years.
- Lead exposure causes high blood pressure and kidney damage in adults.
- It is also known to cause irreversible neurological damage in children and fetuses, leading to reduced IQ and behavioral disorders.
- Health Canada states lead in drinking water is unsafe at any level, and is best addressed by removing lead pipes.